Re: Performance issue of libtool-2.4.4

From: Robert Yang
Subject: Re: Performance issue of libtool-2.4.4
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 09:11:57 +0800

On 02/03/2015 10:31 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Tue, 3 Feb 2015, Robert Yang wrote:

Sorry, I was wrong, tt seems that libtoolize is not the key, but libtool,
when compile cairo-1.12.18:

        libtool 2.4.2    libtool 2.4.5
configure:     31s        32s
compile:    54s        64s

The libtool 2.4.5 costs 10 more seconds. I'm debugging on it, any suggestion
is appreciated.

The build slowdown must not be my imagination then.  I had attributed the
slowdown to other factors.  Recently I noticed that build times for my own
project were significantly longer than I remember.

Previously libtool was heavily optimized to reduce the number of forks
(execution of child process).  This optimization should still be present in
2.4.2.  Any additional forks will result in a slower build.

It is not necessary to libtoolize a package in order to test its build
performance with different libtool versions.  You can specify LIBTOOL in the
environment (see the Makefiles) such that it points to the uninstalled libtool
in a libtool build tree.

We run autoreconf for the package automatically to make sure that we can
build most of the autotools packages successfully, and autoreconf will
run libtoolize when needed, if we don't run autoreconf, then a few of the
packages will fail to build, now we upgrade libtool from 2.4.2 to 2.4.4/2.4.5,
it takes more time to build, I will try 2.4.3.

// Robert

Bob