Re: Performance issue of libtool-2.4.4

From: Robert Yang
Subject: Re: Performance issue of libtool-2.4.4
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 13:06:43 +0800

On 02/06/2015 12:12 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
I am not seeing quite the difference between libtool releases that you are
although I see a big slowdown starting with 2.4.3.  These timings are for
optimized builds of GraphicsMagick on a 12-core GNU/Linux system using -j 12:

I think that we can't see obviously slowdown by "make -jN",
but "make -j1" will. And bash is much slower than dash, I'm trying to
figure out why.

2.4.2 : 23.613
2.4.3 : 31.697
2.4.4 : 28.236
2.4.5 : 28.514

And here are timings for a non-optimize (-O0) compile with no debug symbols:

2.4.2 :  8.629
2.4.3 : 13.216
2.4.4 : 13.012
2.4.5 : 13.281

I see similar slowdowns on an Illumos-based system, so it is not specific to
GNU/Linux.

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04.3, we have added a few patches to libtool for cross
building, but it seems these patches won't impact the speed so much since it
works well when 2.4.2 (the same patches).

// Robert

It is curious that there is more impact for the optimized builds.

Bob