rpath for an inter-library dependency

From: Marcin Zalewski
Subject: rpath for an inter-library dependency
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 11:28:35 -0500

Hello.

I have a contrib jemalloc library in my project that is not being
built using libtool. When I build my libtool library, I add this to
the link line:

-ljemalloc -R/rpath/to/jemalloc

This works fine, and my .la file includes:

dependency_libs=' -R/rpath/to/jemalloc -ljemalloc'

However, when I link my programs with the .la file, I do not get rpath
on the liker line, which causes a run-time failure when the program is
run. Am I using the -R option correctly? I was hoping that I could
make it a dependency in my .la file and not have to worry about it.
The documentation for -R says:

If output-file is a program, add libdir to its run-time path. If
output-file is a library, add -Rlibdir to its dependency_libs, so
that, whenever the library is linked into a program, libdir will be
added to its run-time path.

As far as I understood this, once my library has this dependency, the
rpath will be added to any program that links to my library, but that
is not happening.

Any help would be appreciated,
-m