Re: Running an uninstalled executable

From: David
Subject: Re: Running an uninstalled executable
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 11:52:26 +0200

El Tue, 12 May 2015 11:38:42 +0200
Alberto Luaces <address@hidden> escribió:
> Hello,
>
> in an autoconf+automake+libtool C++ project containing only one
> program, I want to run the executable before installing it.
>
> Reading the manual I thought that it could be done with
>
> libtool --mode=execute program_binary
>
> but it fails, since there are undefined references to shared libraries
> not installed in standard directories.
>
> Can libtool solve this problem for me?

In order to use libraries not installed, but present in another
directory (non standard), you have to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/695530/why-do-i-have-to-define-ld-library-path-with-an-export-every-time-i-run-my-appli

Something like: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/your/custom/library libtool
--mode=execute program_binary

I think this is not related to libtool, but how bash and shared
libraries works though