Re: How to build libtool from git sources properly?

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: How to build libtool from git sources properly?
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 08:22:53 -0600

On 05/19/2016 12:56 AM, Igor Zhbanov wrote:

> I wanted to build it from a local git mirror (a protection against network
> outages on our or your side), checking out on v2.4.6 tag. So when a new
> release would be available, I would simply change the commit hash in a
> local git submodule. But I've found that it's not enough to have sources of
> libtool because it needs sources of gnulib. And it's impossible to build it
> from unmodified sources if you want to build it without network access,
> because you need at least patch it to use local version of gnulib.

Projects that use gnulib's bootstrap can set environment variables to
point to a local clone of gnulib.git.  However, libtool uses its own
custom bootstrap, and I don't know if it has that same functionality.
Patches are certainly welcome.  And it would also be nice if libtool's
own bootstrap could be merged back upstream with gnulib's bootstrap.