Re: How to build libtool from git sources properly?

From: Pavel Raiskup
Subject: Re: How to build libtool from git sources properly?
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 15:09:23 +0200

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 8:56:20 AM CEST Bruce Korb wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 7:22 AM, Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:
> > ... However, libtool uses its own
> > custom bootstrap, and I don't know if it has that same functionality.
> > Patches are certainly welcome.  And it would also be nice if libtool's
> > own bootstrap could be merged back upstream with gnulib's bootstrap.
>
> I believe the author of the script wanted to do just that, but felt he
> had headwinds.
> Now, it's too late as he can't do open source development anymore.
> (Employer requirements.)  I use the libtool bootstrap for a couple of my
> projects and I, too, think it would be good to merge it back into gnulib.

This is/was my personal long-term task, too.

Gary has trying to merge this into gnulib for a long time;  and it is not
going to be much easier now so, to not C&P everything all the time, we
agreed with Gary that we'll have the bootstrap project at least
"pluggable" into gnulib for now.

>From our last discussion, merging those two bootstraps together into
gnulib HEAD (and retiring boostrap) is something which is desired.  On the
other hand, for the time being, we can benefit from the fact that Gary can
have a look at isolated bootstrap code.

> I have no employer requirements anymore, but I have my own projects on
> the table, so gnulib patch delivery time might get measured in weeks.

In case you'll have a chance to look at this, keep us updated :) !

Pavel