Re: How can I keep -lstdc++ out of $postdeps?

From: Thomas Jahns
Subject: Re: How can I keep -lstdc++ out of $postdeps?
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 01:55:19 +0100

On 02/23/2017 05:01 PM, Jack Bates wrote:
On 22/02/17 12:16 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
On 22 Feb 2017 10:32, Jack Bates wrote:
How can I avoid dynamically linking with libstdc++?
or, how can I keep -lstdc++ out of $postdeps?

let's back up.  what is it you're actually trying to do ?
you want to create a statically linked C++ program ?
you want to link a C program ?
something else ?

Well, I'm asking for a friend [1]. It sounds like he's got one version
of libstdc++ in his build infrastructure and another (older) version on
his production machines. He wants to avoid using the older version (I
think because of an issue with the STL) which is why he's trying to keep
-lstdc++ out of the linker arguments.

Regardless of whether -static-libstdc++ is the solution he ultimately
runs with, I think he's confused about _LT_SYS_HIDDEN_LIBDEPS -- as am
I. The underlying compiler/linker seems to do a more refined job of
adding/not adding these dependencies? Is there a recommended way to
disable _LT_SYS_HIDDEN_LIBDEPS?

I think the path of least resistance is still to install the newer libstc++ (CentOS can use newer developer tools [1] and has corresponding library packages to my knowledge).

Thomas

[1] <http://blog.andrewpeabody.com/2016/06/modern-development-tools-in-centos-7.html>