Re: Why is Guile unable to find libtool?

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: Why is Guile unable to find libtool?
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 08:28:05 -0700

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 1:54 AM Matthias Klose <address@hidden> wrote:

> >  $ sudo apt install libtool-devel
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > E: Unable to locate package libtool-devel
> >  $ type libtool
> > bash: type: libtool: not found
>
> -devel package names are usually found on Fedora/RedHat systems.  The
> Debian/Ubuntu packages are called -dev.
>
> To search for a particular binary, either install command-not-found, and
> you'll
> get a suggestion for the missing package, or use packages.ubuntu.com to
> search.
>
> Both will give you the hint to the libtool-bin package.
>
> Matthias

Thank you for your reply. So many standards to choose from. Anyway,
the summary: I have libtool-doc and libtool-bin, but no libtool-dev
can be found for my Linux Mint installation. Consequently, no
libtool.pc gets installed, either via libtool-bin or by "make install"
with the source code. (I did a full make and install into /usr/local.)

    $ sudo apt install libtool-dev
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package libtool-dev

    The problem is not (currently) the lack of the libtool tool.
Rather, it is the reliance on distributions using pkg-config:

    $ find /usr/lib*/pkgconfig /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/ -name 'libtool*'
    $ apt list libtool'*' 2>/dev/null | sed 's/^/    /'

    Listing...
    libtool/bionic,bionic,now 2.4.6-2 all [installed]
    libtool-bin/bionic,now 2.4.6-2 amd64 [installed]
    libtool-doc/bionic,bionic 2.4.6-2 all
    libtoolkit-perl/bionic,bionic 0.0.2-2 all
    libtools-analyzer-clojure/bionic,bionic 0.6.9-1 all
    libtools-analyzer-jvm-clojure/bionic,bionic 0.7.1-3 all
    libtools-cli-clojure/bionic,bionic 0.3.5-2 all
    libtools-logging-clojure/bionic,bionic 0.2.3-6 all
    libtools-macro-clojure/bionic,bionic 0.1.5-2 all
    libtools-namespace-clojure/bionic,bionic 0.2.11-1 all
    libtools-nrepl-clojure/bionic,bionic 0.2.12-1 all
    libtools-reader-clojure/bionic,bionic 1.0.0-1 all
    libtools-trace-clojure/bionic,bionic 0.7.9-1 all

In other words, a libtool "make install" needs to install "libtool.pc".