Re: Accounting for -rpath when libtool isn't helping

From: Roumen Petrov
Subject: Re: Accounting for -rpath when libtool isn't helping
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 21:07:31 +0200

Hi Paul,

Paul "LeoNerd" Evans wrote:
[SNIP]
Alternatively, am I looking at this from the wrong direction? Maybe the
problem is that the exporting library isn't providing -Wl,-rpath in
its .pc file, to assist anyone else who wasn't using libtool to link it
(such as is the case here).
No , I don't think that this is valuable.

With that in mind, I now generate those if required, in the little
shell fragment I use to create the .pc file:

#!/bin/sh

LIBS='-L${libdir} -ltickit'
CFLAGS='-I${includedir}'

case "$LIBDIR" in
   /usr/lib) ;;
   /usr/local/lib) ;;
   *)
     LIBS="$LIBS -Wl,-rpath -Wl,$LIBDIR"
     ;;
esac

cat <<EOF
libdir=$LIBDIR
includedir=$INCDIR

Name: tickit
Version: 0.2
Libs: $LIBS
Cflags: $CFLAGS
EOF

Like you perl (first email) and shell (above) scripts libtool do similar to decide when to add "runpath" linker flag. Libtool parses /etc/ld.so.conf and "build-in default paths" and if a library path is not in list adds "runpath" flag.

On most platform you control this via variable lt_cv_sys_lib_dlsearch_path_spec. Pattern *_cv_* mean that this is a "autoconf cache variable" and "lt" is custom namespace prefix.

Add $HOME/lib to list to avoid -rpath flag.

For some autoconf builds with use of libtool you could force -rpath if needed - add those options to LDFLAGS ( see ./configure --help) .

Regards,
Roumen Petrov