Re: libtool uses cc to link a mixed C/C++ project and fails to find oper

From: Roumen Petrov
Subject: Re: libtool uses cc to link a mixed C/C++ project and fails to find operator new
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 22:53:27 +0300

uri wrote:
> On 2019-06-24 09:55, Roumen Petrov wrote:
>>
>> And projects builds just fine!
>> Conclusion - there is no defect neither in libtool nor in automake nor
>> in project autotool files.
>>
>> Reporter still does not provide feedback with information from
>> configuration time (requested in a previous post) => resolution is -
>> broken build environment.
>

> configure and Makefile.in contain -lstdc++. These could be different
> between systems. On FreeBSD it should be -lc++.
Both configure and Makefile.in are generated .

You cannot blame configure for -lstdc++ as more or less is expected. It depend from so many things. For instance is normal a autoconf based project to check for function or libraries. Next is Makefile.in. It is generated from  Makefile.am. Please check again ;).

> It worked when I patched these lines, Dunno why you shut in the dark.

but this is error-prone because
> some other toolchains might use a different C++ library.

Yes , and instead to update generated scripts you could help project ViennaRNA to improve build with correct report.

> Once the error-prone -lstdc++ are removed, libtool fails because it
> links with the C compiler.
Ha-ha. Interesting. Now I have idea how broke your build system .
Please avoid to update  randomly some scripts.

One again ViennaRNA build fine in my environment. Build system uses proper compiler.
NO ISSUE WITH LIBTOOL!

>  Yuri

Regards,
Roumen