Re: cryptic "command not found" error

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: cryptic "command not found" error
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 15:12:13 -0700

swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> writes:

> I have an issue with libtool. see details here:
> https://labs.parabola.nu/boards/5/topics/562

> I'm guessing my environment is broken somehow, but I cannot find any
> information on how to effectively debug this situation.

> The error from libtool does not help at all. Which command? What did it
> try to do?

The error message is:

  CC       mu-str.lo
../../libtool: line 3470: -v: command not found

The command not found is "-v".  libtool is reporting that it's trying to
run a command named literally "-v", which of course was not found.

Looking at the dump you posted of your environment, this lept out at me:

MV=-v

I'm not sure why you set that environment variable, but I believe it is
overriding libtool's $MV variable because of this code:

# All uppercase variable names are used for environment variables.  These
# variables can be overridden by the user before calling a script that
# uses them if a suitable command of that name is not already available
# in the command search PATH.

# ...

: ${MV="mv -f"}

and libtool is then running -v instead of the mv command because you are
telling it to do so with that setting.  This of course doesn't work, and
as a result files are not moved to their correct locations during the
build.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org)             <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>