Re: New libtool maintainer

From: Richard Purdie
Subject: Re: New libtool maintainer
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 23:20:34 +0000

On Sun, 2021-11-21 at 13:14 -0600, Alex Ameen wrote:
> I just took a look at those. Good catches on the typos, I probably would
> not have noticed them just reading the script myself. Same thing with
> the M4 `[]' quoting issue ( classic pitfall ). I'll get these merged ASAP.
>
> For the non-Linux patches I can merge them, but I don't have personally
> have OSX, powerpc, or Solaris boxes, and while I do have a Windows
> partition I don't currently have it set up to run these kinds of tests.
> Nonetheless I can merge these - if you have access to any of those
> platforms let me know if you would be open to running `make check' and
> posting the logs so I can sanity check the new behavior.
>
> Thank you so much for bringing these to my attention. There's a long
> list of old patches and mailing list archives and as a practical matter
> it's hard to know which of them are still relevant - so I appreciate
> your help.

I did recently post the better bits of the OpenEmbedded/Yocto Project patchset
for libtool:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool-patches/2021-10/msg00012.html

Those are at up to date and in regular use in OE/YP which is widely used for
cross compiling for Linux/mingw and others. We tend to find sysroot and cross
compile issues in particular and we also find reproducibility and parallel make
race issues.

If you have any questions or concerns on any of those I'm happy to try and help.

Cheers,

Richard