Re: new release?

From: Roumen Petrov
Subject: Re: new release?
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 10:13:51 +0200

Hi Alex Ameen,

Alex Ameen wrote:
This is a good question. I plan on making a new release this month.

When I first adopted the project I ambitiously thought I'd manage to create a
new release after about a month; but the truth is when I started doing a deep
dive into the internals there was a lot of history and complexity for me to
unpack. Things that are easy to overlook like how change-logs get generated,
quirks in the testing framework, and tracing down disparate areas to align
documentation took quite a while to navigate.

Last maintainer heavy broke libtool scrips we "automatic" code formatting
scrips.
Happy hacking such  brokenness.

The good news is that I think I've got the confidence to push a release soon. One area
that I was reading up on this weekend was whether the "alpha"/private releases
of `libtool' might be appropriate, or whether I should just push a release immediately.
I'll admit I am leaning towards just making a release to avoid the entire alpha process
for the time being.

I appreciate you reaching out; I definitely want to get a release out before
March.

More feasible is to apply patches to 2.4.6 branch and to release from this
really stable and proven to work version.
IN such case next could be 2.4.8.

Next point is name of development branch.
For some reasons projects switch to main branch. Following move libtool could
create main branch based on 2.4.6.
From main branch could be released 2.6.
It seems to me more users will test release version then beta or release
candidate.

[SNIP]

Regards,
Roumen Petrov