Re: upgrade to c++11

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: upgrade to c++11
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 19:58:15 +0200

Frédéric Bron <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> g++ defaults to the C++ standard of 2003. 2 years ago a new standard
> has been published with a log of improvements.
> Today the g++ commands in the build process of lilypond do not specify
> any standard so that it defaults to c++03.
> Could we switch to c++11?

What do you mean by "switch"?  Make sure that our sources still compile
using C++11?  That's eminently reasonable.

Change them so that they will fail using anything but C++11?  That
sounds like it would not buy us anything but trouble at the current
point of time.

Consider C++11 a given for future contributions?  Sounds like C++11 is a
bit too fresh in the game for that to work without major hassles.  Most
certainly, GUB would strenuously object.

> I suspect that a test would be required. Can somebody tell me where I
> should add the option -std=c++11 to test this?
> For example, can I just replace the following line of aclocal.m4:
> CFLAGS=" -pipe $CFLAGS"
> by
> CFLAGS=" -pipe -std=c++11 $CFLAGS"

CFLAGS should be pretty irrelevant.  For C++, something like CXXFLAGS is
used.