Re: Global fonts

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Global fonts
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 16:40:58 +0200

Le mardi 25 avril 2023 à 14:12 +0200, Jakob Pedersen a écrit :

Hello!

I'm trying to change the fonts of my scores. It's a \book consisting of several bookparts with a single \paper block.

I've sent a new roman font using this in the \paper block:

#(define fonts
    (set-global-fonts
     #:roman "Libertinus Serif"
     #:factor (/ staff-height pt 18)
    ))

I have two questions that I couldn't find an answer to in the documentation.

  1. How do I apply openfont features globally and not in individual markup blocks?

Use

\paper {
  text-font-defaults.font-features = #'("feature1" "feature2" ...)
}
  1. How do I make a global change of the font used for lyrics? I assumed it would change with the roman font, but they didn't.

Could you give an example? For me, this works, printing lyrics in Libertinus:

\version "2.24.1"

\paper {
  #(define fonts
    (set-global-fonts
     #:roman "Libertinus Serif"
     #:factor (/ staff-height pt 20)
    ))
}

{ c' }
\addlyrics { aah }

One thing that could be the cause is set-global-staff-size or layout-set-staff-size if you use one of those; they reset the fonts, so you have to restate the #(define fonts ...) command after them. This quirk has been fixed in the freshly released unstable version 2.25.4, by the way.

Also, why #:factor (/ staff-height pt 18) ? You would normally use #:factor (/ staff-height pt 20), any other value desynchronizes the size of the music glyphs from that of the staves... (Which is why the 2.25.4 syntax does not take a #:factor parameter.)

Best,

Jean