m17n-list

Re: Disabling Unicode input with C-U

From: Mike FABIAN
Subject: Re: Disabling Unicode input with C-U
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2023 12:16:37 +0100

Brad Neimann <brad.neimann@hotmail.com> さんはかきました:

>>> Recently I started using m17n with IBus, and am very happy with the
>>> resulting experience. However, one point annoys me: whenever I press
>>> C-U, a Unicode character selector appears with the text 'U+',
>>> expecting me to input a hexadecimal character code. I find this highly
>>> inconvenient, especially when using applications which use C-u as a
>>> keyboard shortcut (e.g. Vim).
>>>
>>> Is there any way to disable this behaviour of C-U?
>>
>> If you click on IBus icon you can choose preferences and curiously
>> change this behaviour openning the emoticons tag.
>
> Hi François,
>
> Thanks for your prompt reply! I have already disabled Unicode input
> via IBus; I know it is disabled because IBus's implementation of
> Unicode input has a different GUI (using an underlined 'u' rather than
> pre-edit text 'U+'). I am confident that the behaviour I experience is
> due to m17n, as it only occurs on input methods handled by m17n. Other
> input methods (e.g. 'English (US)') do not exhibit this behaviour.

This “U+” thing happens because /usr/share/m17n/global.mim contains:

(fallback-input-method
  (_"Fallback input methods.
Value must be comma separated fallback input method names.
When you type a key that is not handled by the currently activated intup method,
fallback input methods (in the order specified in this variable) try
to handle that key, and the first one that can handle the key is activated
temporarily.
For instance, as the default value of this variable is \"lsymbol, unicode\",
when you type \"/...\" while you are activating an input method
that doesn't handle that key sequence, \"lsymbol\" input method is activated
and \"…\" (U+2026: HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS) is inserted.")
  "lsymbol, unicode"))

The "unicode" input method is the fallback input method used which
displays the "U+" in the preedit.

You can disable that by creating a file ~/.m17n.d/config.mic in your
home directory (Create the "~/.m17n.d" directory if it doesn’t exist)
with the following contents:

$ cat .m17n.d/config.mic
;; -*- mode:lisp; coding:utf-8 -*-
((input-method t nil global)
 (variable
  (fallback-input-method nil
   "lsymbol")))

which removes the "unicode" from the list of fallback input methods.

(I left "lsymbol" there because that didn’t annoy you apparently, you
could remove that as well if you like (see /usr/share/m17n/lsymbol.mim
for what that does))

--
Mike FABIAN <mfabian@redhat.com>
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。