masterlibre-list

Re: [Masterlibre-list] CD proposal: Summary of the project

From: Janis Gailis
Subject: Re: [Masterlibre-list] CD proposal: Summary of the project
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:16:14 +0100

This seems a good proposal to me! I am voting for "Master on libre (free, open source) software". It is also reasonable to remove the "European" as we have a vision to disseminate the program to the Latin America and other non-European countries.

What about an acronym? MoLS (I have used EMoLS) in some occasions before...

Janis

Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona wrote:
This is my proposal for the summary of the project (max. 200 words), in
its first draft version. Comments are more than welcome.

Saludos,

        Jesus.

-----------------------
Title: Master on libre software

Abstract:

This is a proposal for a master degree within the Bologna framework, to
be offered jointly by several Universities across Europe. The subjet of
the master will be "libre (free, open source) software", a new field
where still little academic education exists, but which is focusing a
lot of attenting through Europe. The design of the master not only
provides the needed education on this field, but also explores ways of
translating to education some practices that the libre software
community has long ago demonstrated, in the areas of quality assurance,
collaboration of geographically distributed groups, creation of texts by
communities of authors, etc. The master also explores new ways in mixed
(both in-place and distance) learning prectices, and intensibe teaching
of both teoretical and practical subjects.
To fulfill the commitment expresed in this proposal, we provided a solid
group of Universities, with a multidisciplinary team of persons quite
involved in the libre software community, with good knowledge of it, and
with long term experience and interest in education about libre software

PS: Yes, I know the title could be challenged. I like it, but we could
explore others such as "Master on libre (free, open source) software" or
"Master on libre software related studies". Please comment also on this.