masterlibre-list

Re: [Masterlibre-list] Call for papers for GUADEC in Spain in June 2006

From: Martin Michlmayr
Subject: Re: [Masterlibre-list] Call for papers for GUADEC in Spain in June 2006
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 05:24:19 +0000

* Anne Østergaard <address@hidden> [2006-03-23 18:15]:
> I heard your presentation at FOSDEM on quality assurance for
> software etc.
>
> Would you mind sharing it with this list and me. I found it very
> interesting.

Basically, I'm working on a PhD investigating aspects of quality
management in volunteer FLOSS projects.  My fundamental question is
whether (and, if so, how) you can ensure constant high levels of
quality in the software when the people working on it are volunteers
whose involvement is quite unpredictable and volatile.

Specifically, I'm investigating release management (as one area
related to quality).  Many projects, especially large ones, have huge
delays with their releases and I'm trying to work out what we can do
about this.  The basic problem appears to be that development is done
quite independently (i.e. without requiring much coordination) whereas
for a release everyone has to come together and get their work ready
at the same time, integrate it, etc.  And here the problems occur...

I'm on this list because a) I'd like to represent the interests of the
free software community and to make sure the Master programmes get it
right and b) because I'm interested in teaching about project
management and QA in FLOSS projects.  As to my background, I have
been actively involved in the free software community for over 10
years and acted as the leader of the Debian project for two years.

Anyway, I'll stop boring you to tears now.  More information on my
research can be found at http://www.cyrius.com/research/ for those
who're interested.

> I was the one who mentioned that you could find a lot of inspiration in
> the foodstuffs legislation. USA and New Zealand has _very_ detailed

Ah, that was you!  Do you have any references/links I could check out?
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/