Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi

From: Antoine
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:22:59 +0100

Hi Pardeep

Pardeep Athwal wrote:

Hi,

I'm going to begin my paparazzi project and I had a
few questions regarding tools I'll need.

1) I will be purchasing a Twinstar so I can use the
same settings as the project founders.
yep, that is going to make your life easyer - you might then even be able to do autonomous on first flight :)

2) Should I purchase an AVR ATMEL Development kit for
the Atmel8 & 128 or not?
I don't think that is needed

3) I haven't found information on the GPS Unit how to
build it I've searched the website etc.. I am open to
buying a fully built unit if thats possible.
get a SAM-LS module from ublox - this is a module with a GPS chip and a ceramic patch antenna. All you have to do is solder some wires to the controller board. I'll set up a page about that on the wiki.

4) Should I build the Servo Control Unit first and
then the main unit, I'd like to build it in stages
rather than all at once.
I'm not sure what you're talking about - The supported hardware is described on this page
http://www.recherche.enac.fr/paparazzi/doc2/moin.cgi/Introduction/Hardware
Some boards, like the tiny ot the v1_2_1/lite have a builtin "servo driver", that is a chip that allows to drive 10 servos from a single microcontroller pwm output. Some others, like the classix or the robostix don't - For those boards, there is two solutions: - use the microcontroller PWM pins do directly drive servos ( there are 6 available) - use a "servo driver" chip that is build on a rc receiver to drive more servos ( theoriticaly you could reach 6 * 10 servos )

5) Can the project founders recommend someone who can
build the units i.e. I'm not great with a soldering
iron etc.. Or is it straightforward, I do have a
tempreture controlled soldering iron.
The finer chip on the old generation boards ( v1_2_1 and lite) had 0.8mm pitch - They were moderatly easy to solder by hand. The new boards ( classix and tiny ) have 0.5mm pitch chips and are difficult to do by hand. A reflow oven is very handy for them. Miraterre, the company of Anton and Jeremy intends to sell ready build boards, but it's not available yet.

I could mount your first board if you're in a hurry.

6) I am intially thinking of purchasing the complete
FMA autopilot so that I can get the FMA infrared
sensor along with it.  Is that recommended? Or should
I just build my own infrared sensor.
maybe just get the sensor as spare part from FMA - there is little point in building your own. The price of part in small quantities is similar to the price of the FMA unit.

Regards

Antoine.