Re: [Paparazzi-devel] BitScope USB Oscilloscope

From: gwen hastings
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] BitScope USB Oscilloscope
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:31:31 -0700

OUCH!! cheapest cleverscope 999.99 and only works under windows.. oops..

       gwen

ps bitscope is looking better and better

... gwen hastings wrote:
Hi Matt,
I should also mention bitscope has a programming API that allows extensions and plugins to the current software to be added by the more technical user, so the limitations mentioned above only extend to non programmers(ie unfortunately most people) but the HW capabilities of the scope seem to be unrivaled AND it is the only one I have found that runs completely under linux..

  gwen
ps for the previous critiquer I would like to pose a question, what do you know in the price range that does better and runs under linux or unix or macos?(windows need not apply here..)

gwen hastings wrote:
Hi Matt ,
was going order mine today as the design descends from a known pedrigree,, that of Steve Ciacarcias Circuit Cellar and needed it for tiny/classix integration.
   gwen
ps is it soup yet?(tiny)

Currie wrote:
Group,

Does anyone have any experience or reasons to purchase or not purchase a USB "BitScope" oscilloscope? I have been following this companies line for a few years and the specs are getting better and better. Here is a basic excerpt from one of their most basic models:

http://bitscope.com/product/BS310/

"BS310 combines a dual channel digital storage oscilloscope and 8 channel logic analyzer with an arbitrary waveform generator, real-time spectrum analyzer and data recorder in a virtually indestructable package."

    * 100 MHz Analog Bandwidth Scope.
    * 40MS/s Logic Analyzer, 25nS capture.
    * Dual Analog Channels (4 inputs via BNC & POD).
    * 8 logic/timing channels and Smart POD.
    * Arbitrary Waveform Generator.
    * Real-Time Spectrum Analyzer.
    * Mixed Signal Data Recorder.
    * Networkable (BS310N).
    * User Programmable.

These cost < $500 and harness the speeds of USB 2.0 and the storage and display capabilities of modern PCs so I cannot see a reason why I should not be buying one of these as opposed to $1,500-10,000 for its standalone equivalent.

Regards,
Matthew Currie