[Paparazzi-devel] GPS precision

From: Ethan Arnold
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] GPS precision
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 09:56:45 +0200

Dear List,

Has anyone ever tried laying 2 GPS receivers (same model) side by side and
comparing the output over a reasonable period of time?

I noticed (with one receiver, under good reception) the measured GPS
position slowly (under 1m/s) wanders around in an area of about 10-20m
diameter. I was wondering if a second GPS receiver of the same model would
show the same deviation at the same time. If this were the case, couldnt one
use the stationary receiver as a reference point to correct the mobile GPS,
as long as they are relatively close together (<1km), and hereby be able to
detect the slow horizontal drifting of a helicopter, which otherwise couldnt
be detected with only the on-board GPS receiver?

Regards,
Ethan