[Paparazzi-devel] First Post: Request for build help

From: onefastdaddy
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] First Post: Request for build help
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 10:23:20 -0700

Hey All, I have been registered and following the Wiki and this mailing list for some time now. Reading and learning. I must say a very well put together site. I was successful (because it was so easy and well detailed) the instructions for installing Paparazzi on my Ubuntu Laptop (and Mac). CVS and all is working well there.

I am truly stuck though now. I really really would appreciate any URLs, photos, HowTo on building a Tiny 1.3. I went to that Website and bought two of the PC boards a few weeks ago. I bought the Tiny 1.3 BOM (all but the modems). I researched how to build a small Hot Air Soldering Iron from some Radio Shack Parts. But as I look at the smallest of the components it is very intimidating.

I am truly hoping I am not alone and that there are others like me who had to just jump in and start on it who can help me with some instruction. You don't have to do it for me. I am looking to learn. I just really could use a Wiki submission or something to show a few step-by steps on the Tiny. Does it exist and I have not found it?

For the curious, My goad/project is a personal one. Just to get my feet wet. Build a ducted fan based MAV to do aerial images/video. I like the ducted fan for many reasons. I'd like it to be able to take off retract the landing gear and fly the mission.

My motivation is just at 42 and having been working with computers my whole life in IT (DBA mostly) I want to do something fun with computers besides tune a Database or solve someone else's problem. But if you're having Oracle 10gR2 on Linux in a RAC cluster environment issues feel free to ask me I've yet to have Oracle Support fix an issue before I finally figure it out myself here at my work. Consider it my way to help out for your help with this.

So, I'd even gladly edit the Wiki and add my steps I do take (I can take photos and document the process) but really need some guidance. The steps on the page that exists is great for how to solder something like the GPS and antenna I read that a million times. Got it. Need to get just the right solder paste down first before heating....but what about those 50+ other tiny little parts some of which I can't even see in the packaging?

Again, even a simple URL or rough notes appreciated to get me to take the first steps without destroying the parts in the process.

Best Regards,
David