Re: [Paparazzi-devel] recommendations and advices for my first paparaz z

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] recommendations and advices for my first paparaz zi-project
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 19:03:02 GMT

Tim,

Avoid brushed motors - they are weak, produce significant electrical
interference, and change performance with age, making altitude tuning difficult.

Also avoid nicad batteries for most of the same reasons.

Twinstar is a great airframe to start with but Minimag and Funjet are much more
manageable alternatives (and cheaper to upgrade to Lipo/brushless)

Aerocomm modem will not really go 15km but it is of little consequence since
the 200mW video is limited to a few km.  You can connect the aerocomm directly
to a FTDI cable and put it in any common electronics box (plastic or metal) for
your ground modem.

-- Tim Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I want to build my first paparazzi aircraft. It would be nice if you
could look over the following list and tell me if you have any
suggestions or recommendations.
I took two frequencies for data and video (868 MHz and 2,4Ghz) to avoid
problems.

What I already have:
    * R/C Controller with 8 Channels (40 MHz) and a 3 state switch
    * 8 Cell Ni/Cd battery pack
    * R/C receiver with 8 Channels (40 MHz) (I looked into it and found
the 4017 IC so I think it should be fine)
    * Equipment for measuring, soldering and so on

Although I have the RC Controller I'm a total beginner.
What I'm planning to buy is:

Airframe:
    Multiplex Twinstar II
    including 4 servos and controller
    for 157 Euro at www.hobbydirekt.de

Autopilot
    Tiny   with LEA-5H GPS
    including IR-Sensors
    fully assembled
    for ~240 Euro at shop.halfbase.com

Gyros / IMU
    -> Are they necessary for a good performance of the autopilot ?

Modem
    Aerocom AC4868-250
    250mW @ 868MHz
    80$ = ~ 50 Euro @
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=sowTOPtLBlim5ghEh48l5Q%3d%3d
    -> I'm interested in the 15 km line of sight communication

Ground Based Modem
    again the Aerocom AC4868-250 as above,
    -> I haven't found any module with a metal case (stand alone module
for 868 MHz)
    -> If you know where I can get the stand alone module please tell me

Video Transmitter and Receiver
    200mW @ 2,4 Ghz
    150$ = ~ 95 Euro @
http://www.microcameras.com/video_transmitters/TM_240200_video_transmitter.htm

Camera
    12mm x 12mm x 12mm
    Color, 370 Lines
    80$ = ~ 50 Euro @
http://www.microcameras.com/micro_cameras/mini_color_cmos_camera.htm

Alternatively I have another video solution but with a bigger camera:
        Camera
            Color
            470 Lines with night mode
            32mm x 32mm
            MTV-53X10HP-K @
http://www.lechner-cctv.de/artikel_einzeln.php?KAT=72&NR=41&LANG=DE&mwdSID=326hdscfsqn93aaqt1kfv6cjb5

        Video-Transmitter
            FM2350TSIMP + external Control Chip
            200mW @ 2,4 GHz
            66 Euro @
http://www.lechner-cctv.de/artikel_einzeln.php?KAT=95&NR=194&LANG=DE&mwdSID=eheevg5ue9a6edkto25boeahc2

        Video Receiver
            90 Euro @
http://www.lechner-cctv.de/artikel_einzeln.php?KAT=114&NR=6&LANG=DE&mwdSID=eheevg5ue9a6edkto25boeahc2
            alternatively
            50 Euro @ http://www.acwsoft.de/acw_funk3.html

Do you have any experiences with the different systems and dealers?.
I'm open for ANY recommendations.

I live in Germany so I can't use the 900Mhz modems.

Thank you VERY much
Tim