Re: [Paparazzi-devel] beginners questions

From: Tilman Baumann
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] beginners questions
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 16:26:51 +0200

cory barton wrote:

expensive... I have no idea, I'm not a RC guy.

I would say learn to fly first. Go to your local airfield, and learn
how to fly an RC plane. You will want those skills when you are tuning
in the air.

Thanks. Seems like I should get my gear running first and then add the brains.

And something completely different. The XBee modems seem to be pretty
popular. How far will they work?

read the modems page of the wiki to get that information. There are a
couple of different Xbee modems, and I think the max power is
different depending on your local RF regulations.

Somehow I managed to read this page and not see this information. Sorry, there is of course everything documented.

In the beginning, I was overwhelmed by the wiki. I think that if you
download the following documents, and read them, they can help you
understand better.

This is a technical paper from Mav 06:
http://www.recherche.enac.fr/paparazzi/papers_2006/mav06_paparazzi.pdf

The paparazzi users manual:
http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki_images/Users_manual.pdf

Those two papers are excellent, also you may want to read the Mav 08 paper:
http://www.recherche.enac.fr/paparazzi/papers_2008/ENAC_MAV08.pdf

Oh, these are much better than the wiki.

Best of luck and welcome
thx