Re: [Paparazzi-devel] DiyDrones: discussion about Paparazzi and Linux

From: cory barton
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] DiyDrones: discussion about Paparazzi and Linux
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:52:38 -0400

Chris Anderson(DIY Drones founder) has asked me to write a short
article for them about Paparazzi. I am adding his request to me below.
Please give me any suggestions you may have for the article

Thanks,

Cory

Chris says:

Cory, thanks for the note. I think what's missing is "dummy's guide"
to Paparazzi, starting with the question "Is Paparazzi right for you?"
The official wiki is incredibly intimidating for most people and
doesn't even say that it's Linux-only until you get a few scary levels
down.

What would be really useful would be sense of why "regular people"
(ie, our audience, who are typically not university students or pros)
might want to choose Paparazzi over commerical autopilots like
AttoPilot or very simply open source DIY ones like ArduPilot. What are
the Paparazzi features that these amateurs might value that aren't in
these alternatives?

Then, a really short FAQ:

What are the technical requirements? (Linux, etc)
How long does it typically take to get it working?
What are the real costs, all included?
Where's the best place to get started?
What's the best place to turn to for help? Hopefully not this thread
(http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851820), which is
terrifying!

Make sense!

Thanks for the help---I'm aware that Paparazzi is grossly
underrepresented here, and I'd like to rectify that.