[Paparazzi-devel] Rumour of new Paparazzi with IMU

From: Adam Spence
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Rumour of new Paparazzi with IMU
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:39:39 +0000

Hey guys,

I've been actively researching the Paparazzi platform for a while now
and have been getting more and more excited over the prospect. I've
been trying to find out and read as much as I can before purchasing
any hardware to make sure I get what I need.

Whilst I do have a love of RC planes my aim at the moment is to get an
autopilot up and running on a helicopter. From my understanding there
are a couple of Quadrotators but no active projects using a
helicopter. On IRC I've heard rumours of a new Paparazzi which will
use an IMU and be able to support helicopters.

Just really wanted to know if the rumours were true and if it would be
released as opensource like the current Paparazzi. If that were the
case then I would hold off for a bit.

I see that in the mailing list archives the question has been asked
before but there has as of yet been no responses.

If the project is in early development stages I would be keen to get
involved and do anything I can to help. I'm an embedded software
engineer by trade and have worked on Marine autopilots (Raymarine) as
well as designing and building my own IMU for my final year project.
My attempt was successful but unfortunately the processor selected was
not up to the task of all of the accel/gyros as well as servo control,
altitude (abs pressure sensor), rpm and the wireless comms to the
basestation. Rather than redesign that I had hoped to participate in
an opensource project with proven hardware.

Any info would be great.

Cheers,

Adam