Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi for a powered paraglider? And: Any user

From: Maik Höpfel
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi for a powered paraglider? And: Any users near Berlin?
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 11:28:16 +0200

Hello Marcus,

thanks for your reply.

> Are you using a 2-wire (= speed and climb-rate coupled) or a 4-wire glider?
It's a rather large 2-speed wire glider.

> I reconed that with a paraplane fully autonomous landing should be
> possible with an added ultrasonic distance-sensor for the altitude
> on the last few meters of flight.
Seems likely and pretty cool, yes; but it's not a requirement.
Distance sensors might still be required to get an exact reading for
distance-to-ground, because the images the drone will take will be
heavily processed to create 3D models of the ground. But luckily, that
problem is already solved ;)

> Paraplanes are prone to react to shifts in wind and are faster then
> you may think.Thus I would not recommend to fly without IR-sensors.
> Also the slow response time and inaccuracy of cheaper GPS-units
> (as opposed to e.g. the expensive -169dBm 24-channel 4Hz -unit I`m
> using for OpenStreetMap) and the inability of Paparazzi to automatically
> tune the relation of servo-way to the airframe-reaction may make
> it hard for you to tune your aircraft without sending it loosing altitude
> real fast in a small circle every now and then.
1) So you don't think the recommended u-blox GPS module is a good fit?
What would you recommend? Luckily, money is not of primary concern.
2) That's what I was afraid of. So it seems like one would need to
implement auto-tuning capabilities? I'm naive, I'd say that's doable,
right? Has anyone tried that yet?
3) Nice to hear that you're involved in OSM. I wonder why I can't
download OSM tiles instead of the (sometimes broken) Google Maps tiles
yet :) I guess that's probably on a to-do list somewhere.

Greetings from Berlin,

Maik