Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi for a powered paraglider? And: Any user

From: Maik Höpfel
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi for a powered paraglider? And: Any users near Berlin?
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 10:46:11 +0200

Hey Marcus,

>> 1) So you don't think the recommended u-blox GPS module is a good fit?
>> What would you recommend? Luckily, money is not of primary concern.
> It is a good fit for it's job which is to provide a location to complement
> the attitude measured via IR.
> What you talked about was to skip the IR-sensor and measure
> attitude via location-changes.
a) I still fail to understand what help the IR sensors would be. I
thought IR is for stabilization, GPS for navigation.  AFAIK, the IR
sensors measure roll and pitch and are used to hold the airplane level
during flight. And GPS measures heading and location. Right? But the
paraglider is inherently flight-stable and even if we'd, for example,
measure a slight roll, there's not much an autopilot could do about
it, is there? (In comparison to a plane, where one might turn the
aileron servo and correct that) For a paraglider, isn't that expected
behavior when there's wind, or if you're turning? Could you (or anyone
else) please elaborate?
b) What GPS module are you using for OSM and what makes it special?
I'm just interested and don't know much about the technology.

>> 2) That's what I was afraid of. So it seems like one would need to
>> implement auto-tuning capabilities? I'm naive, I'd say that's doable,
>> right? Has anyone tried that yet?
> I'd say you simply need the sensors and hand-tuning.
Ok, that sounds good.

> You can't automatically tune a factor between action and response
> without meassuring the response. ;)
Well, I can measure the response, can't I? But maybe I'd need to
actually see the autopilot in action to understand why autotuning
would not be possible. My primary concern is to understand the part
about the IR sensors :)

Thanks again for your time. I'll have the drone fly to Freiburg and
drop you a beer once it's ready ;)

Regards,
Maik