RE: [Paparazzi-devel] downlink only

From: gisela.noci
Subject: RE: [Paparazzi-devel] downlink only
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 08:24:51 +0200

Hi there

First time I am using this forum to comment on peoples comments, so hope I
get it right.

Cannot really comment on the main content of your problem Martin, but the
last para bothers me. How did you 'shield' the 'receiver cable'? Which cable
did you shield? Not the antenna cable , I trust. Or do you have an antenna
(whip or trailing wire) external to the fuselage, and the use a piece of
coax cable from the RX to the antenna? Are you using 2.4Ghz radio equipment
( for the radio control system, Spektrum or such like)or is it the 35MHz or
similar stuff. If you are using Spektrum, what other equipment do you have
on the aircraft, datalink, Video transmitters, etc, and are they in the
2.4GHz band as well? This is fraught with problems if so, since the very
close proximity of these elements WILL cause desensing of the Radio control
RX. There is nothing you can do about that; They ALL share the same 2.4GHz
to 2.5GHz band. If the RX is in the 35MHz (or 70Mhz, etc) band, it would be
better were is not for the fact the typical RX input selectivity is not
really that good, and the receiver is also desensed. I have had bad
experiences with JR 9 channel RX and the 9-Xtreme (900Mhz spread spectrum)
datalinks. The very broad band signal from the datalink severely
desensitized the RX, and range was reduced to less than 150meters! However,
removing the RX crappy wire antenna, and and connecting a thin (2mm
diameter) coax cable internally (shield to RX ground) and then routing the
Coax to an exit point in the fuselage and then connecting the original
antenna wire to the exiting coax center wire helped a lot. I easily get
600meter range now.

THE FIRST RULE IS : whatever you are testing, be SURE that you have a safe
and tested means of taking control of the aircraft. Sure, a component
failure can still foil you, but I cannot condone taking of, intentionally or
otherwise(!), with your backup system ( manual RCS system) non-functional.
FIRST fix that!

I design Spread Spectrum systems, RF datalinks, Video link, etc, as well as
antenna systems of all types, for the aviation industry, both military and
commercial, so if there is any way I can help or advise, I will try. I am
flying Paparazzi for about 7 months now, but have designed my own ground
control station, and have extensively changed the autopilot - I fly V tails,
with ONLY rudder/elevator, ie, no ailerons, as well as a 4 meter wingspan
homebuilt A/C, fitted with ultrasonic height detection. This A/C does
auto-takeoff and auto-land (beautifully!). But I cannot help with any of the
issues related to the A/C  / GCS communication and control, since I have
done my own....Found the Paparazzi GCS very emcopassing and complete, but
far to complex, and impossible to certify , even in part, for use in
restricted civil airspace.

HAVE FUN, be safe...

Joe