[Paparazzi-devel] bug report? bogus wild altitude changes in simulation

From: Chris Gough
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] bug report? bogus wild altitude changes in simulation
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 12:27:43 +1000

I'm completly green, so please forgive my ignorance (hardware just
arrived, ~20 hours reading wiki and playing with the simulator etc.)

Something weird is happening with altitude in my simulations, it
suddenly leaps into geostationary orbit (33,000 - 38,000 meters),
stays at that level for a while, and suddenly jumps down again. It
happens repeatedly (during a simulation) and is really freaking out
the passengers. I haven't figured out how to reproduce it reliably
(yet). It may corelate with:

 - entering my survey block / leaving standby
 - switching the "cam footprint" on/off in GCS *

I never noticed it before I starting to use SRTM data (DEM), and I
have been messing about with waypoint altitudes quite a bit. All my
waypoints are under a 100m AGL ceiling, my runway is ~580m above sea
level (Canberra, Australia).

* this may be an illusion, It's very obvious with the cam footprint on
because it suddenly shades the entire city.

Is this a known problem, is there some sort of issue tracker I should
check before posting to this list?

My environment is an old laptop (256Mb RAM), with the XMas Ubuntu
image (from the paparazi web site) installed (and subsequently
upgraded). The default install is still there but I'm using a
relatively recent checkout from SVN.  Most of my simulations are basic
survey scenarios (launch, climb, standby, survey, approach, land),
using an extensively modified version of the versatile.xml flight
plan, and modified versions of the funjet.xml and holiday.xml airframe
files (working through the docs while running simulations with
modified flight plans and airframe files pretty much sums up my
experience with paparazzi).

Thanks

Chris Gough

P.S. if anyone could point me at a reference airframe.xml for a
Multiplex EasyStar (with or without addition of ailerons), or any
rudder/elevator/throttle 3 chanel plane, that would be very
interesting :)