Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Questions on Booz hardware

From: antoine drouin
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Questions on Booz hardware
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:29:05 +0200

Hello wolrd

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 6:47 AM, Angus Peart <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have a few questions about the booz hardware and with the lack of
> documentation, I thought would ask here.
> 1. Is the HW going through any revisions in the near future, it would be a
> shame to get some PCB's made then have a revision come out the next month.

The IMU stays for the moment
There is a new main board on the way ( paparazzi4/trunk/hw/lisa) using
a STM32 instead of the LPC2148

> 2. Has anyone considered replacing the 2 and 1 axis magnetometers with a
> small HMC5843? The problem I see is it is I2C not SPI, which isn't on the
> IMU board, but it is on the GPS board.
> 3. On the IMU YZ board, what is the small magnetometer part number?

the PNI MS2100 ( the mag that is on the IMU) is a 3 axis chip with two
integrated sensing elements
the part on the YZ board is the Z sensor needed to get full 3 axis and
is called sensXY
(http://www.pnicorp.com/products/all/sen-xy)
> 4. The AMI601 on the GPS board, when is/isn't that needed. I cannot find
> much info about the AMI601 or even where to purchase it. I see it is a 3
> axis magnetometer so this may answer question 2 as well. It is also a 3 axis
> accelerometer (if my information is right), is the accelerometer being used
> from the AMI601? If it is only being used for a magnetometer then I think
> replacing it with the HMC5843 is a good idea as it is I2C like the AMI601,
> which is already brought to the GPS board.

THe AMI601 on the GPS board is obsolete ( not manufactured anymore,
replaced by AMI602, which I don't have available)
The latest version of the GPS board has this part removed and the up
to date method is to use the PNI MS2100 on the IMU

> 5. If the AMI601 (or other 3-axis magnetometer) is on the GPS board, does
> that mean the magnetometer on the main IMU and YZ board do not need to be
> placed/used?

you can use either one, but the AMI601 is obsolete

> 6. The "power board" looks like a simple power switching board with an
> external switch to activate it. Is this correct? When should it be used and
> why?

I like to leave my battery connected and just press a switch when I
want to fly.
I find it a pain to have to turn the quad upside down

> 7. The absolute pressure sensor "MPX6115" doesn't seem to exist. I take it
> that it should be the MPXH6115, absolute sensor, the ported version?

correct

> 8. I am proficient with eagle and can work with multiple layers, is there
> any TODO items that I could do with the schematics/boards before I get them
> made?

the current version is believed to be bug free. If you want to help me
work on lisa, you're welcome

> 9. Is there anything else I should know before I get the PCB's made up?

i've heard ppzuav has some boards in production

Regards

Poine