[Paparazzi-devel] RE: distance measurement for landing. (Chris)

From: Chris
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] RE: distance measurement for landing. (Chris)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 09:56:53 +0200

I think that i good, simple and feasible idea (someone i think mentioned it) would be to use two barometers, calibrated together of course, and have the ground station automatically transmitting a correction for the airborne altimeter (effectively change the ground altitude or pressure variable ). With a precision barometer we can then set the ground pressure the same for both the ground station and the airplane thus allowing precise altitude measurement. Since the precise altitude of the take off point will be known from SRTM or from an accurate gps and cannot change unless there is a big earthquake or a volcano erruption :-) the plane will always have an accurate barometric altitude for short missions.
AFAIK real pilots do the same by getting the ground pressure from the tower.
Chris