Re: Reply to: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] distance measurement for landing. (E

From: Electro-Technik
Subject: Re: Reply to: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] distance measurement for landing. (Electro-Technik)
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 12:18:45 +0000

I guess that number 6) must the best option then..... After all we've all seen
this working on full size fighters landing successfully on the decks of
air-craft carriers! ;-)

Alan K.

> "Even if local atmospheric pressure could be measured perfectly
> accurately, with no errors, would this be the best parameter to use to
> facilitate an automatic landing?"

From what  i have found out so far by reading and thinking all possible
scenarios a barometer will not do the job.
What is needed is a definite, accurate and dependable method to measure the
distance from the ground with an accuracy of at least 10cm and a latency of no
more than 40ms.
Something like
1) someone sitting to the landing gear with a hand held
  laser distance meter :-)
2) A laser or optical  range meter but for all terrains.
3) A UWB range finder
4) A normal RF range finder
5) A powerful ultrasonic range finder.
6) A vision range finder either on the airplane or at the ground station.
6) a wire connected to a potentiometer which drags below the
  aircraft  (say 50 cm lower) :-)
Chris