[Paparazzi-devel] Just an idea on sonar-baro assisted landing.

From: Chris
Subject: [Paparazzi-devel] Just an idea on sonar-baro assisted landing.
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:57:21 +0200

I just had a flash and i came up with the following idea:
What if we enable the sonar just to get a good reading by applying very strong filtering and data analysis ( say the sonar indicates 3m from ground) and then apply this reading to the barometer without taking any more sonar readings in to account?
The barometer does not produce noise and it is very accurate for the
descent rate and altitude when the altitude variations are small
and within a short time.
Assuming a barometer with 0.5m (worst case) step accuracy then if the sonar positively indicates just once that we are 3 meters from ground then we can say: altitude = 3m - ((baro_pressure_when_3m_were indicated - present_pressure) * baro_scale)
Any opinions on this approach?
Chris