Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Sonar

From: Achim Walther
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Sonar
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 11:30:26 +0200

Nathan,

as far as my experience goes sonar does not reliably work on a fixed
wing that's faster than 10 m/s. I tested the SRF02 and SRF08 so far. The
SRF02 is of no use at all. The SRF08 is much better but nevertheless it
sometimes reads false values. You can adjust its sensitivity via I2C,
but if you set it higher, then it reads distances like 3 meters when
more than 30 meters above ground, and if sensitivity is set lower it
will read 0 at 2 meters.

I guess the cause of false readings is noise coming from the engines or
wings. So like Gautier said, maybe the maxbotix are better. In that case
I would like to hear some positive test results.

Otherwise, there are alternatives like Laser rangers or modified optical
mouse sensors (optical flow) which are either too expensive / heavy or
not yet technically mature.

Regards, Achim.