Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Problems with ahrs Kalman

From: Patrick McColl
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Problems with ahrs Kalman
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 10:44:37 -0400

Attached is the source code of my ahrs, optimized eliminating all loops and calculating only the upper half of P and them filling up the rest by symmetry.

The original code (and probably easier to understand) is ahrs_new.c at

http://www.koders.com/c/fid22E0EE64D96CDDB738EBC21735FBFFC0749F5269.aspx

I have done a lot of tests and debugging, the filter works fine when static in any attitude but fails under motion after some minutes, even with pitch, roll and yaw under +-45 degrees.

I setup a microSD card to record debugging info 10 times per second. I kept track of P but I don't have the knowledge to analyze it properly.

Something that I found not right is that P[0][0] starts at 1 (initial setup) and only decreases when in motion and tends to stabilize when stable. After some time under motion it turns negative and decreases rapidly then instantly turns positive again. That is when the filter turns unstable.

I think the problem is with splitting the filter update into pitch, roll and yaw.

Is anybody currently using a similar Kalman filter that is working fine?

Thanks,

Patrick