Re: [Paparazzi-devel] AoA and high altitude flying

From: Reto Büttner
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] AoA and high altitude flying
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 08:41:44 +0100

Hi Chris

I have flown my eHawk over 4000m AMSL with the same control parameters
as at low altitudes. I have not observed any negative behaviour at
high altitudes. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m8ZR9XWuQ4

As a full scale glider and motor pilot flying at high altitudes I do
not recommend increasing AoA at high altitudes. The correct
compensation for thin air is higher flight speed. When measuring
flight speed aerodynamically (pitot tube) this is done automatically.
When measuring flight speed with GPS you should target higher ground
speeds at high altitudes.

Are you flying electric or gas powered?

Cheers, Reto