Re: [Paparazzi-devel] How to Synchronizing the two Tiny boards?

From: Martin Mueller
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] How to Synchronizing the two Tiny boards?
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 18:04:45 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Autumn,

> In order to synchronize all my data, I'm thinking if it's possible to first
> synchronize the two processors and

the two quarz crystals should not differ that much, not sure the synchronization
would make a big difference.

> then add time stamp to the telemetry data before it is sent to the ground
> station;

This would be possible but requires a rewrite of a lot of message handling code.
There is some reserved space in the "Messages Format New"?

> or add time stamp to the data gathered from the Tiny board before store it in
> the SD card?

Not sure what your setup looks like exactly. Is the TWOG listening to the Tiny
telemetry UART stream (the TWOG will add a timestamp then) or is the TWOG only
recording your extra sensor data?

> Or do you have any other suggestion for this synchronization?

The telemetry link adds jitter if not time stamped on board and there is the
risk of data loss. That makes the on-board logger the better choice.

Martin