Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Lisa M and DX6i

From: Piotr Esden-Tempski
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Lisa M and DX6i
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 14:51:50 -0700

Hi John,

Sorry you have trouble setting up your transmitter.

I already contacted you in Gitter.im (http://gitter.im/paparazzi/discuss) to
try and resolve the issue with you. (it is easier in a real time conversation)

Independent of that, I assume you are talking about setting up a virtual 3 way
switch using two switches and mixing. You should start up the GCS and see what
the ground station reports. The default setup I use is using Gear and Flap
channels. Where Gear is kill and Flap is mode. These are channels 5 and 6
respectively.

You should check your airframe file what channels you are using. The setup I
have in my airframe file to be able to use those two channels is:

<define name="RADIO_MODE" value="RADIO_FLAP"/>
<define name="RADIO_KILL_SWITCH" value="RADIO_GEAR”/>

This goes into the radio_control subsystem section of the autopilot target.

You can compare that with the example ladybird_lisa_s.xml
(https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/blob/master/conf/airframes/examples/ladybird_lisa_s.xml#L216)
 example airframe file for example.

The default setting in the quadrotor_lisa_mx.xml
(https://github.com/paparazzi/paparazzi/blob/master/conf/airframes/examples/quadrotor_lisa_mx.xml#L51)
 is using different channels.

Additionally, if your motors are turning without you explicitly unkilling
(using the switch) being in ATT mode (using the other switch) and arming the
motors (using the throttle stick at 0 throttle and full yaw) is worrying. You
should make sure that the configuration of the "servo" outputs in your airframe
file is correct and that when things are killed and unarmed the motors don't
turn.

If you don't get throttle response even though all the above criteria are
matched then I am stumped myself... :/

What you also can do is using the GCS settings tab you can switch into PPM
telemetry mode and see what values Lisa/MX is receiving from your transmitter.
(you can print the telemetry messages using the messages tool started from the
paparazzi center) This might help you to see what the source of your issues is.

I hope this helps...

Cheers,
Piotr