Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi Stand Alone GPS also known as GPS13 not

From: Joseph Muhlhausen
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi Stand Alone GPS also known as GPS13 not working
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 15:41:24 -0500

Hi David,

Good to know that you can make new boards if needed. For the time being I have
ordered a ublox neo m8n.

I still want to find out what went wrong to prevent from happening again.

-It looks like I get 5v on the TX and 3.3V on the RX line. Is this normal?

-Also no current is drawn from the module

The gps module didn't seem to help unfortunately.

Best,
Joseph

> On Jan 14, 2015, at 4:48 PM, David Conger <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I see, well, yes, I am still away on a long overdue break. Honestly if
> someone really needed some boards made I could work with a supplier to
> get them assembled. It would just mean they add their markup to the
> whole lot but I would be glad to help someone get what they needed
> even while I'm away.
>
> Yes, the old designs are still relevant and there is no reason that
> board should just stop working other than I have seen them revert to
> 9600bps and the standard settings before. Charging the cap won't reset
> the paparazzi settings back into it which is why I suggested using the
> module in your airframe file. Even with no cap or a depleted cap it
> should power up and work.
>
> Have you used the tunnel before? Which autopilot do you have? I'lll
> walk you through it if you like or call me I'll send you my phone
> number and I can walk you through  it. I just am not sure if you've
> done it before so I don't want to assume your level of experience with
> these things.  The "Tunnel" is invaluable to me. That's still what I
> do after all these years to test GPS after assembly.
>
> If the instructions online are unclear let me know I've done it a
> million times. I just don't have the computer I used in front of me
> ATM.
>
> -DC
>> On 1/14/15, Joseph Muhlhausen <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Yes I believe you made that board and since you are on leave no one is
>> making it anymore ...
>>
>> I have left the GPS aside for a couple of months and it may well be, as you
>> mentioned, an empty capacitor.
>>
>> I will power the GPS for half a day and see if it helps. I will also try
>> the module. So far I have had no luck with u-center via FTDI.
>>
>> Best,
>> Joseph
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 4:34 PM, onefastdaddy <address@hidden>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I probably made that board. :)
>>>
>>> First thing that comes to mind is the small cap drained completely. A
>>> very
>>> good Engineer friend told me that cap takes a long time to charge. Hours
>>> (FWIW).
>>>
>>> Possibly the module reset to the factory defaults (9600bps). Have you
>>> tried
>>>
>>> Quick test could be just set the bps to 9600 for the gps in the airframe
>>> file or set the u_center module up. Let me dig in the Wiki for that...I
>>> think this is the page:
>>> http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Gps#Automatic_Configuration_at_Startup
>>> and
>>> http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Module/GPS_UBlox_UCenter