Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Problem with GPS FIX & VIDEO flow

From: David Conger
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Problem with GPS FIX & VIDEO flow
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 08:17:01 -0400

Hello,

It seems there is trouble turning your expectations into reality.
Maybe I can help. The Wiki is mostly correct. It is a free project so
possibly you will someday edit the places where you found it was
confusing or incorrect to help future users.

It is unclear which pages you used. There are more than one. Did you
use this one: http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/AR_Drone_2/getting_started

The list of steps should make it clear it is not plug and play.
However, if you follow the steps exactly it will work. There are
several areas to make incorrect decisions:
1. Installing Ubuntu. Please be sure you've exactly followed these steps:
 - http://wiki.paparazziuav.org/wiki/Installation/Linux
 - have you watched the videos until the steps were clear?
   a. 13.04 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SshFJrBuku8
   b. 12.04 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW0PCSjrP78
NOTE: To follow best practices do not install the bleeding edge
Ubuntu, start with a known stable well documented version first:
12.04, 13.04 just like the videos. After you are comfortable then go
for it and try other versions. I also highly encourage the use of
virtual machines if you are more comfortable on Windows or Mac OS as
you will have less issues with just using your system day to day as
long as with Paparazzi. I find VMWare Fusion very compatible.
2. Installing Paparazzi requirements, prerequisites. Also in the
Installation pages on the Wiki. Again go with 13.04 or even 12.04
first until you are successful. Then try new things. You are flying
Paparazzi robotics so Ubuntu version should not matter really. It's
there to support Paparazzi only not have the latest Ubuntu.
3. ARDrone2 configuration for flight. You must calibrate the
magnetometer. Using the ARDrone flight application, before flight. The
steps are pretty clear on that but being a public wiki it is
encouraged for anyone with a better way to help with the
documentation. If English is not your first language just give it a
try the best you can I will help later and often edit wiki pages to
make corrections as needed.

Have patience, you chose wisely to use Paparazzi and will not be
disappointed if you persist. The only unsuccessful people are the ones
to who give up. There is no more mature, more successful, more tested
software in the open source than Paparazzi for aerial robotics.

Cheers,
David B Conger