Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Futaba Sbus R7008SB receiver

From: Joseph Muhlhausen
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Futaba Sbus R7008SB receiver
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 13:12:39 -0400

Hi Torres,

I believe the R7008SB uses the FASSTest/S.bus2 protocol which seems to be different than FASST/S.bus. see http://www.gpdealera.com/cgi-bin/wgainf100p.pgm?I=FUTL7675

I use R6303SB and it is a normal FASST system, but I only tested it with a S.bus to CPPM converter so far.

Joseph

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 6:37 AM, Miguel Torres <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I've got a Futaba T14SG transmitter and a R7008SB receiver and I wanted to test SBUS on paparazzi. R7008SB receiver has 8 channels, 1 sbus connector and 1 sbus2 connector. As long as I knew, sbus2 is for telemetry sensors, and the sbus port should send a datastream compatible with normal sbus servos and paparazzi sbus code. So it looked like the only problem was to invert the signal and plug it onto the uart.

I've put a signal inverter between the receiver and paparazzi and connected it to uart1 of lisa/M. I've got no signal at all. After trying different configurations on the airframe file, different circuits for the inverter, and even pluggin the receiver to an arduino to test some of the sbus libraries that are available around, nothing worked.

I started to look for more documentation about sbus, and the r7008sb receiver in particular, and found some interesting stuff. Someone in the multiwii forum posted an issue regarding this receiver and the different endbyte. I commented out the endbyte check in the paparazzi code and I started to receive sbus frames like a charm. I tested also that, as the multiwii formun says, if I put the transmitter in 12ch mode the endbyte is 0x08, but in the 14ch mode the endbyte changes. Digging up some more i found this and this, so looks like in the 14ch mode, the one that allows external telemetry sensors, the endbyte act as a counter to signal telemetry sensors their slot for transmission.

The weird thing is that actually this receiver (R7008SB) has two sbus ports, one labeled as "SBUS" and other labeled as "SBUS2". The manual says sbus2 port is for sensors and sbus port is for servos and products not compatible with sbus2, but the fact is that the protocol is a bit different. I don't have any futaba sensors to test in the bus either.

Another funny thing about this receiver, and i think other furaba sbus receivers, is that the channels are not filling the full range. I noticed when I connected the paparazzi and the rc couldn't reach full throw of the actuators. I can increase the endpoints in the transmitter or adjust ranges in the radio.xml file so there is no problem, but it is strange. I don't know if this happens also with other sbus receivers like frsky or orangerx.

Best Regards.

Miquel Ángel Torres Gil

Instituto Tecnológico y de Energías Renovables, S.A. (ITER, S.A.)

Polígono Industrial de Granadilla, s/n 38619 - Granadilla de Abona
Santa Cruz de Tenerife - España (Spain)

TEL: + 34 922-747-700;   FAX: +34 922-747-701

www.iter.es

Antes de imprimir este e-mail piense bien si es necesario hacerlo. El medioambiente es cosa de todos.

Please consider your environmental responsibility. Before printing this e-mail, ask yourself whether you really need a hard copy.

ADVERTENCIA:

   La información incluida en este e-mail es CONFIDENCIAL, siendo para uso exclusivo del destinatario arriba mencionado. Si Usted lee este mensaje y no es el destinatario indicado, le informamos que está totalmente prohibida cualquier utilización, divulgación, distribución y/o reproducción de esta comunicación sin autorización expresa en virtud de la legislación vigente. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos nos lo notifique inmediatamente por esta misma vía a GRUPO ITER, S.A. y proceda a su eliminación.

DISCLAIMER:

   This message is intended exclusively for its addressee and may contain information that is CONFIDENTIAL and protected by professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copy or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited by law. If this message has been received in error, please immediately notify us via e-mail to GRUPO ITER, S.A. and delete it.