Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Copter isn't holding its position in hover (H_ZH)

From: Sergey Krukowski
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Copter isn't holding its position in hover (H_ZH) mode - with video!
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 22:20:07 +0200

Hi Simon!
I think the offset of 60° is not normal, even with wrong calibration.
Did you mount the board correctly? Try to check your board placing according this:

Thus in the northern hemisphere:
When you align your IMU with the direction of north, you should see x>0, y=0, z>0. When pitching the IMU down, the magnetic vector is aligning with x, so x should increase and z should decrease to zero. If yawing your IMU to the left, the magnetic vector is aligning with y, so y should be positive, x should decrease to zero and z stay positive.

And in the southern hemisphere:
When you align your IMU with the direction of north, you should see x>0, y=0, z<0 When pitching the IMU up, the magnetic vector is aligning with x, so x should increase and z should increase towards zero. If yawing your IMU to the left, the magnetic vector is aligning with y, so y should be positive, x should decrease to zero and z stay negative.

But this is correct only in case of BODY_TO_IMU angles are close or equal zero.

Best regards,
Sergey

Hi Ewoud, Felix,

Yes, I took the previous current calibration completely out of the
airframe file for the last test, to see the effect most clearly. It did
drift a lot (around 80°!).

The "real" direction in the screenshot above is around -60° the whole
time. But as the copter keeps turning clockwise, I had to yaw left (the
down steps of the green line).

While replaying the flight, the GCS shows the copter pointing almost
south while in reality it was still pointing roughly 300°. See the two
walking paths marked in yellow and red and compare it with the video.

As the next step I will do another current calibration and compare it
with my earlier values. Though, my question is: Without any current
calibration (like in the test above), do you get to see an psi offset of
as much as 80-90°? This sounds a bit too much. Will a better current
calibration help here or am I better off rewiring the power cables
all-together?

The full video: https://youtu.be/F1WrH9zZjNs
In the video I am engaging hover mode three times. The last one @1:57 is
quite dramatic.