Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Bebop2 autopilot fails to execute paparazzi nav su

From: Stephen L Hulme
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Bebop2 autopilot fails to execute paparazzi nav survey poly flight plan
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 10:10:55 +1200

Hi Ewoud

Thank you for looking into this matter for me.

I will undertake the walking around experiment tomorrow (Wednesday) and report back with the data.

Regards

Stephen

Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 2:38 AM

Hi Stephen,

I see your drone started flying circles with ~40m radius from about 150s, quite a serious issue. I looked for a while at the graphs, but I am not 100% what the cause is. Perhaps it has to do with:

- Problems configuring the GPS. We have issues connecting some Ublox modules via the usb port to the bebop1. We get data from the gps, but sometimes there is a delay of 3-8 seconds. We are still looking into this, and perhaps you have the same problem (though you are using the internal ublox gps), because if I look at the INS values, the acceleration (coming from the accelerometer) and the speed (coming from the gps) do not match. I see about a 5 second delay.

- Often a cause for toilet bowling is a heading offset. Make sure your magnetometer is well calibrated and you have an accurate heading before and during flight.

- If you have a joystick available, it is wise to bring it next time and use it to take over manually when the drone goes out of control like this. It can save you a lot of time repairing.

I was trying to figure out the delay problem last friday with fvantienen. We could see if this delay was there just by walking around with the drone and looking at the GCS. Perhaps you can help us try to figure out what the problem is by walking around with your drone (when it has been on for a while, it started at 150 seconds in your log).

Ewoud