qemu-devel

Re: CXL Namespaces of ACPI disappearing in Qemu demo

From: Jonathan Cameron
Subject: Re: CXL Namespaces of ACPI disappearing in Qemu demo
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 11:58:27 +0100

On Wed, 6 Sep 2023 19:22:19 +0800
Yuquan Wang <wangyuquan1236@phytium.com.cn> wrote:

> Hi, Jonathan
> On 2023-09-05 22:34,  jonathan.cameron wrote:
> >
> > As I understand it the distinction is more about the format / contents of
> > that memory
> > than how you access them.
>
> Yes, RCH DP RCRB includes registers from PCIe Type 1 Config Header and
> PCIe capabilities and extended capabilities while CHBCR includes component
> registers
> with the same layout and discovery mechanism in other CXL components.
>
> > As an aside, they are described by a static ACPI table,
> > so they can't be in the MMIO space used for BARs etc.
> >

> In CXL 3.0 Spec, the Figure 9-14 (CXL Link/Protocol Register Mapping in a CXL
> VH)
> shows that CHBCR is mapped by "Host Proprietary Static Bar". According to
> your guidance,
> it is not a standard PCIe BAR using PCIe MMIO Space, so I understand it is a
> special BAR for
> MMIO of a platform device?

Hmm. Host proprietary so basically you can in theory do anything you like.

In QEMU emulation at least it's not in the PCIe MMIO space.  I'd not rule out
other
implementations putting it somewhere in that space.  For now I'm not seeing
a) Anything that says our choice is invalid.
b) Any advantage in making the handling of PCIe MMIO space more complex to shoe
   horn this in there.

Jonathan