qemu-devel

Request for information on QEmu code architecture

From: George Pence
Subject: Request for information on QEmu code architecture
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 22:04:12 -0500

Hello,

I'm working on a college project where the goal is supposed to be an experiment in OS instrumentation. What we decided to try is to modify the QEmu source code to be able to acquire some info about a VM we launch with it. We've forked the repository and successfully built from source, but the codebase is so massive, we don't know how to find entry points in the code for where it's initializing/launching our VM.

We found this e-mail in the contact section of the repository readme, and was just wondering if anyone might have some advice, or could refer us to some other resources that could help us learn more about this aspect of QEmu.

Ideally we would like to be able to find places in the code that run every time a VM is initialized and launched, and be able to acquire some data from those functions for logging/printing/etc.

Thank you in advance,
George