qemu-devel

Re: Wshadow: Better name for 'optarg'?

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: Wshadow: Better name for 'optarg'?
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 08:56:39 +0200

On 4/10/23 19:56, Thomas Huth wrote:
On 04/10/2023 19.43, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
On 4/10/23 19:35, Thomas Huth wrote:
On 04/10/2023 19.23, Richard Henderson wrote:
On 10/4/23 03:05, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
Hi,

I'm getting a bunch of errors for 'optarg' declared in <unistd.h>:

I thought things like this is why we were trying -Wshadow=local.

I think it's unlikely that we'll be able to prevent all such cases.

Given the broad range of operating systems and libraries that we support in QEMU, I agree with Richard - it will likely be impossible to enable that option without =local by default without risking that compilation breaks on some exotic systems or new versions of various libraries.

-Wshadow=local doesn't seem to work here which is why I switched
to -Wshadow. I probably misunderstood something from Markus cover
letter. My setup is:

C compiler for the host machine: clang (clang 14.0.3 "Apple clang version 14.0.3 (clang-1403.0.22.14.1)")

I suppose we'll figure that out when eventually enabling -Wshadow=local
on CI. Meanwhile I already cleaned the 'optarg' warnings that were
bugging me, see:
20231004120019.93101-1-philmd@linaro.org/">https://lore.kernel.org/qemu-devel/20231004120019.93101-1-philmd@linaro.org/
I'll try to get -Wshadow=local, but the other series still seems a
good cleanup, as I used more meaningful variable names.

If I got that right, -Wshadow=local only works with gcc and not with clang yet, so we'll need a check in configure or meson.build and will be able to only use it when it's available.

If we could use "-Wshadow" to check global variables, too, that would be great, but given my experience with some other project, it's very unlikely that you can get it running reliably everywhere, since there is often a bad library header somewhere that declares some global variable(s) that spoil your plans (IIRC I've once seen a bad library that even declared a global variable called "x" ... and you certainly don't want to rename all occurances of "x" in the QEMU source code just because of a bad library ... however, that's been many years ago, though, maybe the situation got better nowadays, so if you like, feel free to continue your quest - just be aware that it might not be solvable at the end).

Nah I'm not interested in such a quest, this is simply an oversight
that this is restricted to GCC.

My view on those warnings cleanups is, once we start, either we
finish the full conversion and enforce the warning, or better not
to start wasting energy. I wanted to help Markus, getting closer
to the end. Sorry about the confusion, I'll wait this get enforced
for our GCC jobs on CI before revisiting.

Regards,

Phil.