qemu-riscv

Re: qemu-riscv32 usermode still broken?

From: LIU Zhiwei
Subject: Re: qemu-riscv32 usermode still broken?
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 09:41:39 +0800

On 2023/9/13 6:31, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
Dear all,

I've once more tried to build up a riscv32 linux install in a qemu-riscv32
usermode systemd-nspawn, and am running into the same problems as some time
ago...

https://dev.gentoo.org/~dilfridge/riscv32/riscv32.tar.xz   (220M)

The problems manifest themselves mostly in bash; if I replace /bin/bash
with a static x86-64 binary (in the tarball as /bin/bash.amd64), bypassing
qemu, I can make the chroot rebuild itself completely.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2023-09/msg00119.html
^ Here I'm trying to find out more.

Bash tests apparently indicate that argv[0] is overwritten, and that
reading through a pipe or from /dev/tty fails or loses data.

Apart from the bash testsuite failing, symptoms are as follows:

* Something seems wrong in the signal handling (?):

If it is wrong for signal handling and for 32-bit, I guess it may be fixed by this patch

https://www.mail-archive.com/qemu-devel@nongnu.org/msg981238.html

And this patch has been merged into master branch yesterday.

May be you can have a try based on the master branch.

Thanks,
Zhiwei

--- our package manager (bash/python combo, there bash) hangs reproducibly at
one point.
--- when I run a console program and try to background it with ctl-z, it hangs
     (only the first time per bash instance, it seems)
     repeated ctl-c gets me back to the shell, then the program is in the
background

riscv32 ~ # python
Python 3.11.5 (main, Aug 31 2023, 21:56:30) [GCC 13.2.1 20230826] on linux
[1]+  Stopped                 python
^C^C^C^C^C^C^C
riscv32 ~ # ^C
riscv32 ~ #
riscv32 ~ # jobs
[1]+  Stopped                 python
riscv32 ~ # fg
python

--- make, when building something, seems to always start only one job in
parallel

Any advice or debugging would be appreciated.

If we get this running then I can set up regular riscv32 Gentoo stage builds
within a week. [*]

Thanks in advance,
Andreas

PS.
huettel@pinacolada ~ $ /var/lib/machines/riscv32/usr/bin/qemu-riscv32 -version
qemu-riscv32 version 8.1.0
Copyright (c) 2003-2023 Fabrice Bellard and the QEMU Project developers

[*] https://www.gentoo.org/downloads/#riscv