qemu-riscv

What riscv tracing tools do you recommend and how are they accurate for

From: Nazerke Turtayeva
Subject: What riscv tracing tools do you recommend and how are they accurate for measurements?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 20:27:23 -0800

Hi everyone,

Recently, I was planning to measure the performance of my application of interest for potential RISC-V hardware. Hence, I started my simulations from Spike to analyze dynamic instruction traces and instruction count, nevertheless given it does not support multithreading, I started using Qemu to test my app too. However, it seems like I cannot rely on timing results of Qemu for comparing different implementations. Accordingly, given I am brand new to the Qemu ecosystem, I was wondering whether I am missing some important mainstream instrumentation and tracing tools that I can use for performance evaluation of my target app in other ways. Particularly, I want to understand implications of adding custom ISA instructions to the performance of my application.

In this regard, do you have any recommendations on where I can look?

Thanks,
Best wishes

--
Nazerke Turtayeva