swarm-swarmfest2006

[Swarmfest2006] Abstract for SWARMfest 2006

From: Kyle Newton
Subject: [Swarmfest2006] Abstract for SWARMfest 2006
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 17:10:21 -0700

Presenter:      Kyle Newton
Affiliation:       An Undergraduate Research Assistant from the University of British Columbia - Okanagan working with Dr Rebecca Tyson
Format:       Oral Presentation
Phone:       (250)-549-6897
Address:

9442 Angus Drive
Coldstream, British Columbia, Canada
V1B 3G2

Title: Modelling the effectiveness of sterile insect release within a Codling moth population.

Abstract:
We construct an individual-based model using the java extension of the SWARM programming libraries to simulate dispersal patterns of the codling moth, Cydia Pomonella. The model includes both male and female moths of wild and sterile types, and tracks the individuals in a two-dimensional orchard where a network of attractive pheromone traps has been placed. As the male moths disperse throughout the orchard they are influenced by the presence of female moths and pheromone traps. We investigate how differences in various aspects of moth behaviour affect the number of sterile and fertile matings which occur over the lifespan of one release of sterile moths, as well as the sterile to wild trap ratios in pheromone traps.

Thank you,
-Kyle Newton, Computer Science undergrad.